Becoming a Member
BENEFITS TO BAR MEMBERS
The following are some of the benefits available to paid-up members of the Bar:
- access to a “suite of financial benefits” due to the Bar’s agreement with the Bank of Nova Scotia Jamaica Limited. This will include members having potential access to billions of dollars at discounted interest rates or more favourable terms in relation to, inter alia, business start-up capital or loans; mortgages and motor vehicle facilities or loans;
- discounted costs to our Continuing Legal Education (“CLE”) seminars this is particularly important now with the advent of mandatory Continuing Professional Development via the amendment to the Legal Profession Act;
- discounted fees for membership at Spartan Health Club/Gym;
- a free copy of our new, improved JAMBAR Journal which is published every quarter;
- access to the legal material (“mini library”) at the Bar’s office;
- discounted ticket cost for Bar events, such as “Bar Beat”; and
- discounted costs on stationery or other purchases at INC Limited, Liguanea Mall, St. Andrew (next to the post office).
As of May 2014, the Association had over 1100 members.
A person seeking to become a member in the Jamaican Bar Association, must be:
- admitted to practise as an Attorney-at-Law in Jamaica; and
- of sound character
Learn more about being called to the Jamaican Bar.
Download and send in the Application Form to the Bar Office at 78-80 Harbour Street, Kingston.
Students enrolled at the Norman Manley Law School or any of the law schools established by the Council of Legal Education are eligible to become Affiliates of the Jamaican Bar Association. Download and send in the Application Form to become an Affiliate.